Visited with one of my favorite Fire Chiefs today and continue to be frustrated by the state of his departments EMS Division. I honestly do not understand why some places continue to function under the "good old boys club" shit instead of doing what is right for the department. I love "my boys" as much or more than some of my family and would do just about anything for them within reason. I would not, however, go to bat for someone that fails to show up for work without an excuse, doesn't do his job, refuses to participate in mandatory training nor work as a team player. Repeated offenses should meet with discipline, not with a beer on the boat and an attitude of fuck this place.
Perhaps I hold all of us to a higher standard than some do, which is unfortunate. I don't think my expectations are unrealistic or unattainable. I would like to think that my profession is just that ... a profession. NOT something to play at or glorify ourselves. Training is paramount to doing our jobs properly under any circumstance and lives depend on it. Those that fail to train either get injured or cause injury in others .... why do we continue to allow those in charge to fail to train with us or to make excuses for those that are buddies not to do so.
GRRR......
to quote something I've recently read ..... "train like your life depends on it, because it does".
Perhaps I hold all of us to a higher standard than some do, which is unfortunate. I don't think my expectations are unrealistic or unattainable. I would like to think that my profession is just that ... a profession. NOT something to play at or glorify ourselves. Training is paramount to doing our jobs properly under any circumstance and lives depend on it. Those that fail to train either get injured or cause injury in others .... why do we continue to allow those in charge to fail to train with us or to make excuses for those that are buddies not to do so.
GRRR......
to quote something I've recently read ..... "train like your life depends on it, because it does".
No comments:
Post a Comment