Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ceremony

Well, today we begin our goodbyes to our friend.  Unfortunately our lives are also being touched in multiple ways by a local soldier's death overseas.  His service is today and the idiots protesting the war have already declared intent to show at the service.  How DARE they!  I am all about people being allowed to have their own opinions, hell, it's what our men and women lay down their lives for ..... but no one, ever, should show such disrespect to a fallen soldier or his surviving loved ones.  What it boils down to is the fact that this family lost their brother, son, father, husband ... and they deserve privacy, grief and respect.  Why can't they protest where it would make a difference.  The other side of this coin is the amazing response of the public, veterans - especially the Freedom Riders and such, other service men and women to insure the family is insulated from the ignorance.  Goodbye Soldier and thank you for everything you gave.

Waiting is horrible on days like this.  I want to be there with my boys now ... and yet, I don't want to go at all.  Sometimes I wish life could be like it is when you are young - you know, the out of site out of mind.  If only I could turn it all off for a little while.

To all my brothers and sisters in the Fire/EMS service ... make sure your fire families know how much they mean to you.  Love, laugh, live and remember that while we have rough and tumble times we are definitely a blessed bunch in that we have a second family to share our lives with.

Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment